Degrees are awarded posthumously to candidates who have completed the academic requirements and pass away before the graduation date.
A request for a posthumous degree should be initiated by faculty. The request must be in writing and include a copy of the official obituary notification. Posthumous degrees may be awarded to deceased students who meet the following criteria:
- The student was in good academic standing.
- The student has completed 75% or more of degree requirements; individual circumstances will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- The posthumous degree has to be approved by the Dean of the department, the Faculty Senate, the Provost, and the President.
- Notification to the recipient’s designated representative will be made by the Dean of Students or designated College representative.
- Degree may be awarded at graduation to a designated student representative.